This recipe has been contributed by Ian who also brought Meateaters the Ray McVinnie dish, lamb cutlets with butter bean puree. This lamb leg recipe is from Ruth Pretty, the well known chef from Te Horo near Wellington.
As well as being a highly sought after corporate and private function caterer Ruth runs an occasional very over-subscribed cooking school at her wonderful kitchen in Te Horo. There you can learn to cook great food with wonderful national and international chefs and then eat the meal at the end of the class.
The ingredients below will serve 30 as part of a buffet but Ian adapts the marinade ingredients for a single leg.
2-3 legs of lamb, boned, butterflied and trimmed of silverskin and fat. You are aiming for 3kgs of prepared meat weight.
6 cloves garlic
6cm piece of peeled ginger
Bunch of coriander including root
2 tbsp ground cardamom
2 cups salad oil
- Cut lamb butterfly in half and beat with a meat mallet until lamb is of an even thickness. Place in ceramic or glass bowl.
- Process marinade ingredients in a food processor until smooth
- Cover meat with marinade overnight
- Sear lamb on both sides on a hot BBQ, and then cook for around 10 minutes each side. It should be pink and juicy.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving on a platter with a bed of fresh coriander.