The 2010 Great New Zealand Sausage Competition has revealed the nation’s top sausages.
After two days of intense judging, the 450 entries in the contest have been whittled down to less than twenty supreme finalists.
Head judge Kerry Tyack says the competition, sponsored by Devro, Kerry Ingredients and Alto Packaging, is going from strength to strength.
“When it came to selecting the best of the best, the quality was so high that we made a decision to have more than one supreme finalist in two categories,” says Tyack.
The 17 finalists are:
- Beef: Peter Timbs Meats, Christchurch
- Pork: Meat Cuisine, Auckland
- Pork: Waikanae Butchery, Wellington
- Saveloy/Polony/Cocktail: Saveloy, Southbridge Tasty Meats, Canterbury
- Frankfurters & Rounds: Smoked Kielbasa, Island Bay Butchery, Wellington
- Traditional: Cumberland, Netherby Meats, Ashburton
- Flavoured Precooked: Precooked Cheese, Tegel, Auckland
- Precooked: Gluten Free Precooked, Hellers Tasty Ltd, Christchurch
- Flavoured: Angus, Brookfield New World, Tauranga
- International Bratwursts & Boerwors: Boerwor, Ellerslie Meats, Auckland
- International Spicy: Chorizo, Peter Timbs Meats, Christchurch
- International Spicy: Merguez, Franklin Country Meats, Auckland
- International Mild: Italian Pork & Fennel, Seaside Meats, Auckland
- Gourmet: Pork & Fennel, Mediterranean Wholesale Market, Wanaka
- Gourmet: Venison, Hellers Tasty Ltd, Christchurch
- Gourmet: Chicken with lime, Janssen’s Continental, Auckland
- Gourmet: Razorback Wild Boar & Bacon, Harmony Foods, Paeroa
At midday tomorrow, the public are invited to watch the Supreme Award judging at the Auckland Seafood School in Jellicoe Street, Auckland City.
The People’s Choice Award will then be judged around 1pm, where everyone can put their taste buds to the test and vote for their favourite.
The winners, along with all the gold, silver and bronze medallists, will be announced at a function commencing at 3pm.